Skip to main content

Safe and Sound

I mentioned in my last blog post that I suddenly had to leave the Women's Holiday Dinner. It's kind of unfair for me to mention it, but not tell you the story...

Around 8:55pm on Monday night, I received a text message from my husband that something was wrong with Elise (our almost 3-year-old) and that I needed to come home right away. My husband is a rockstar with the kids and RARELY calls or texts me when I'm not around. It's awesome because I know that I can truly enjoy being out without worrying about the kids or what is happening at home -- it is a gift. For him to text me to come home meant it was a serious situation.

I grabbed my purse, ran to my car, and hurried home. As a mom, you can imagine all the thoughts that went through my head and I worked hard to fight down the panic. I tried calling my husband and sent him multiple text messages to get more information (illegally since I was driving his car and my phone wasn't hooked up to the bluetooth) but couldn't reach him. I knew he was busy taking care of our daughter and simply couldn't get to the phone or hear it. As I drove with tears in my eyes, sending out fervent prayers, I just kept quoting scripture to myself to calm myself down.

On my way home, I cross the railroad tracks on Ogden Avenue. As I got closer, the train gates came down. I was stuck. I remember praying, "Please God, just let me get home to my baby so that I know she is okay." The trains that usually go along that track usually have 100+ cars and, at that time of night, they tend to go super slow and even stop on the tracks. I texted Walter "TRAIN!! :( " and then looked up to see one car -- yes, only one train car -- go by and the gates go up. I continued on my way and got every green light (which is almost impossible to do along Ogden in Oswego). I honestly believe that God helped me get home quickly that evening.

I arrived home and rushed in to find Elise quietly sleeping in Walter's arms in the family room. She had just fallen asleep and his phone was in his office.

Elise woke up while I was gone struggling to breathe. She had no cold, not even a runny nose, but suddenly had trouble breathing. You could hear it even while she slept. I tried doing a steamy shower to help, took her out in the cold in the middle of the night (although Monday was in the 60s, so it was in the upper 40s overnight), but none of it worked. We had her sleep in our bed with us that night. We suspected that she had Croup and I took her to the doctor the next day to make sure. We had experienced Croup with my son, but he had the typical barking "seal" cough and never the stridor (breathing issues). Croup usually is caused by a cold virus moving to the vocal cords and causing them to swell, but she never had even a cold! I'm so thankful that it wasn't in her chest, it wasn't asthma, and that, even though it woke her up and sounded horrible, she was getting plenty of oxygen as she breathed.


Our God is good. As scary as the moment felt, I knew that God was in control and that he held my little girl in the palm of his hand. He was keeping her safe and calming my heart.

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

"Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." Isaiah 41:10

"In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you along, O LORD, will keep me safe." Psalm 4:8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Have a Date!

The wedding date is set: Friday, March 2. I've already booked our church, our pastor, and the reception hall. Whew. I've been busy. Luckily, I already knew where I wanted the reception to be held and since I'm doing a Friday evening, it was easier to book the reception hall. My mom, Kara (my sister and matron-of-honor), and I are looking at dresses this Saturday. How fun! I already found one that I REALLY like online at David's Bridal. So, we are heading there first on Saturday. Jess bought me a wedding planning book -- wow! I had no idea that there were so many things to do! Plus, most people start almost a year in advance and I'm doing it in six months. Oh well. The work is well worth the short wait. So, how am I doing with posting so far? Look, Amanda, two blogs in one week! You must be proud of me. Still no pictures as Walter has been out of town and I don't have a camera. Hopefully, I will have some for you soon.

I'M ENGAGED!!!

Saturday night, on top of the John Hancock building in downtown Chicago, Walter asked me to marry him! I said, "Of course I will." The ring is absolutely gorgeous!! It's exactly what I wanted. (We didn't go ring shopping, but I gave him hints of what I wanted). It's a platinum solitare princess (square) cut one carat diamond. I'll take a picture of it and try to post it for you. It looks like our wedding date is Friday, March 2. I have to double check on some things, but most likely, that is the date. Here's the story: Walter was really low key about everything. We had already planned to go to Chicago that day to the Lincoln Park Zoo. I had never been there and we have a list of things we want to do. So, he picked me up at 11:30am on Saturday. He surprised me with a dozen+ (actually 14) red roses. We headed to Chicago and the zoo. Afterwards, we went to Frontera Grill where I have really wanted to go. It's incredibly difficult to get in, so he had call

Forgiven and Free

I've come to the revelation that I don't love people (other than my family, which I love fiercely). I'm not trying to be funny and I'm not being mean. I care for people and I genuinely show love and care, but deep down in my sinful, deprived soul, I don't truly love people. Let me explain... I've been hurt a lot by friendships. Numerous times I have let my guard down and tried to be real, just to have those people walk away from me for no reason. So I've put up walls and guarded my heart. I'll share only what is safe, but I struggle to be vulnerable and real. Years ago I went to counseling to help me with being more vulnerable (and my perfectionist nature). I grew a lot and after about a year, I connected with my future husband and allowed my walls to come down. I praise the Lord for him and allowing me to be real. My husband is a gift from God, but I still struggle with my female friendships. Guy friendships always seem to be easier to me. Maybe it