Skip to main content

My Favorite (Non-Fiction) Books!


I LOVE to read. I rarely watch TV, because I am always reading. Everywhere I go, I bring a book with me because I would rather lose myself in a book than stare at my phone non-stop. I read a TON of fiction books, but also try to fill my time reading non-fiction books that grow my faith, business knowledge, healthy habits, etc. Here are some of my top favorite books. Take a look and then go grab a copy for yourself! (Side note: I love getting books from the library, but these are all ones worth owning -- so you can re-read them and share them.)

 


1. Everything is Figureoutable by Marie Forleo

I can't give this book enough praise! If you have ever made excuses for not meeting a goal, following a dream, fixing a problem...then you need this book! It's easy to read, super practical, and Marie is so incredibly relatable. So stop making excuses about having time or money to read this book ;) and go figure it out! As you'll learn, everything is figureoutable!



2. Food Fix: How to Save Our Health, Our Economy, Our Communities, and Our Planet -- One Bite at a Time by Dr. Mark Hyman

Dr, Hyman does a great job of walking us through where our food comes from, how current farming practices are depleting our land and resources, and how the way money is poured into companies that provide junk food to our bodies is another part of social injustice. He not only gives insight and knowledge into the situations around us, but practical solutions and ways you can start making a difference today.



3. The Healthy Home by Dr. Myron Wentz and Dave Wentz

The is by far my favorite book on creating a lifestyle free from harmful chemicals. The authors walk you room by room through a house and talk about the typical chemicals (and other things) that are found in those room and affecting your health. It's fantastic resource that you'll have to have near you at all times.



4. The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy

This is a great book to read whether or not you have your own business or are thinking of starting one -- the principles in the book apply to everyone's lives in some way. The book builds on the idea that one small thing can cause lasting change (for better or for worse). You can conquer big things and make a difference by starting with the small things.



5. Awe: Why It Matters For Everything We Think, Say, and Do by Paul David Tripp

We started reading this last year in my small group at church and it has become a favorite of mine. The author points to how so many of our problems and issues ultimately stems from an "awe" problem -- we have lost our awe of God, thus allowing the things of this world to affect us in so many harmful ways. It is both encouraging and freeing.



6. I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness by Austin Channing Brown

I first read this book a couple of years ago when it first came out and WOW! So good. It not only opened my eyes to a lot of the real issues of race around me, it also talks about the role of African-Americans is not to constantly have to educate white people, etc. It's a small book that packs a punch and is easy to read.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Have a Date!

The wedding date is set: Friday, March 2. I've already booked our church, our pastor, and the reception hall. Whew. I've been busy. Luckily, I already knew where I wanted the reception to be held and since I'm doing a Friday evening, it was easier to book the reception hall. My mom, Kara (my sister and matron-of-honor), and I are looking at dresses this Saturday. How fun! I already found one that I REALLY like online at David's Bridal. So, we are heading there first on Saturday. Jess bought me a wedding planning book -- wow! I had no idea that there were so many things to do! Plus, most people start almost a year in advance and I'm doing it in six months. Oh well. The work is well worth the short wait. So, how am I doing with posting so far? Look, Amanda, two blogs in one week! You must be proud of me. Still no pictures as Walter has been out of town and I don't have a camera. Hopefully, I will have some for you soon.

I'M ENGAGED!!!

Saturday night, on top of the John Hancock building in downtown Chicago, Walter asked me to marry him! I said, "Of course I will." The ring is absolutely gorgeous!! It's exactly what I wanted. (We didn't go ring shopping, but I gave him hints of what I wanted). It's a platinum solitare princess (square) cut one carat diamond. I'll take a picture of it and try to post it for you. It looks like our wedding date is Friday, March 2. I have to double check on some things, but most likely, that is the date. Here's the story: Walter was really low key about everything. We had already planned to go to Chicago that day to the Lincoln Park Zoo. I had never been there and we have a list of things we want to do. So, he picked me up at 11:30am on Saturday. He surprised me with a dozen+ (actually 14) red roses. We headed to Chicago and the zoo. Afterwards, we went to Frontera Grill where I have really wanted to go. It's incredibly difficult to get in, so he had call

Hey, Cubs fans!

Okay, so the Cubs are breaking my heart, but at least we have Derrek Lee. My dad and I went to the Cubs game on June 13th and here is a photo from where we were sitting (third row behind home plate)...awesome seats, horrible game. I've just got to keep believing. :) (I'm practicing adding pictures, hence this late post).