Skip to main content

No Excuses!


I hear a lot of excuses about why people don't exercise or haven't started an exercise program. The biggest thing people say is that they just don't have time. Really? The truth is, you do have time. We find time to do the things that are important to us. If being healthy is important to you, you'll find the time. Recently, I've found that adding a time of silence and a chance to decompress (which for me is reading a good book) means that I'm DVRing more of my TV shows. You might have to put something else aside in order to do that which is important to you.

We can all find ways to be busy, but when it comes to exercise, here is what I have found helpful. Take note that I am a stay-at-home-mom of two children (but I found ways to exercise even when I was working full-time).

1. Don't let your children be an excuse. When my first child was a baby, I would exercise when he napped. I then invested in a nice jogging stroller so he could run with e.when he was a few months old. Now I have two children and I push a double jogging stroller as I run. Yes, it's a lot of work and I can't run as far. BUT, I'm still getting a workout in. I live in the Midwest, so running outside with my children in the winter is not an option. I workout in the basement on the treadmill and/or doing weights while they play (when they were younger, I would sometimes workout to a video if I felt it wasn't safe to be on the treadmill around them). 

2. Invest in a good jogging stroller. Yes, they can be expensive, but if you have kids, a good jogging stroller is a must (and the only stroller you really need). The best one out there (in my opinion) is the BOB revolution. You can lock the front wheel straight or allow it to move around. Even the double stroller (side by side) can easily fit through a standard doorway so you can take it shopping too! The back wheels easily pop off so you can fit it into the back of your car.

3. Invest in a good treadmill. Face it. There will be weather days that will keep you from working out outdoors.  Don't let that be an excuse. Get a treadmill, and, honestly, not just any treadmill, but a good one. It doesn't have to be the most expensive, but a good treadmill will make a HUGE difference in how you experience your run. You still might not love to run on the treadmill, but you won't hate it as much either. ;) Things to look for: a long tread belt (you don't want to be worried that you will fall off the back), a built-in fan (cools you off and makes you feel like you are running outside), speakers with a place to plug in your iPod/phone/etc. (now you won't have to worry about headphones or where to put your iPod/phone/etc. while running!).

4. Invest in some weights. It is SO important to do strength training along with aerobic training. Stop by a sports store (even a Target) and get some weights. You only need a couple different size weights and you can workout your entire body.

5. If all else fails, join a gym and find some classes that motivate you. If you have kids, make sure there is childcare for them so they don't become your excuse. I also highly recommend hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions to give you some ideas on how you should workout in order to meet your fitness goals.

Even if you don't have kids and/or work full-time YOU CAN DO IT! I used to wake up at 5:00am every morning to workout and take a quick shower before heading off to work, because I knew I would be too exhausted (and less motivated to do it) after work. Take a good look at your schedule, make some changes, and get going. NO EXCUSES!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Have a Date!

The wedding date is set: Friday, March 2. I've already booked our church, our pastor, and the reception hall. Whew. I've been busy. Luckily, I already knew where I wanted the reception to be held and since I'm doing a Friday evening, it was easier to book the reception hall. My mom, Kara (my sister and matron-of-honor), and I are looking at dresses this Saturday. How fun! I already found one that I REALLY like online at David's Bridal. So, we are heading there first on Saturday. Jess bought me a wedding planning book -- wow! I had no idea that there were so many things to do! Plus, most people start almost a year in advance and I'm doing it in six months. Oh well. The work is well worth the short wait. So, how am I doing with posting so far? Look, Amanda, two blogs in one week! You must be proud of me. Still no pictures as Walter has been out of town and I don't have a camera. Hopefully, I will have some for you soon.

I'M ENGAGED!!!

Saturday night, on top of the John Hancock building in downtown Chicago, Walter asked me to marry him! I said, "Of course I will." The ring is absolutely gorgeous!! It's exactly what I wanted. (We didn't go ring shopping, but I gave him hints of what I wanted). It's a platinum solitare princess (square) cut one carat diamond. I'll take a picture of it and try to post it for you. It looks like our wedding date is Friday, March 2. I have to double check on some things, but most likely, that is the date. Here's the story: Walter was really low key about everything. We had already planned to go to Chicago that day to the Lincoln Park Zoo. I had never been there and we have a list of things we want to do. So, he picked me up at 11:30am on Saturday. He surprised me with a dozen+ (actually 14) red roses. We headed to Chicago and the zoo. Afterwards, we went to Frontera Grill where I have really wanted to go. It's incredibly difficult to get in, so he had call

Forgiven and Free

I've come to the revelation that I don't love people (other than my family, which I love fiercely). I'm not trying to be funny and I'm not being mean. I care for people and I genuinely show love and care, but deep down in my sinful, deprived soul, I don't truly love people. Let me explain... I've been hurt a lot by friendships. Numerous times I have let my guard down and tried to be real, just to have those people walk away from me for no reason. So I've put up walls and guarded my heart. I'll share only what is safe, but I struggle to be vulnerable and real. Years ago I went to counseling to help me with being more vulnerable (and my perfectionist nature). I grew a lot and after about a year, I connected with my future husband and allowed my walls to come down. I praise the Lord for him and allowing me to be real. My husband is a gift from God, but I still struggle with my female friendships. Guy friendships always seem to be easier to me. Maybe it