Skip to main content

So Much to Be Thankful For!


2020 has been quite a year and now we've reached Thanksgiving. Pretty sure we thought life would be back to normal, but as I write this things all around me in my state are shutting down again because of the COVID. As mentioned in my previous blog post, there is always a way to find gratitude through the hard. In fact, gratitude is good for your health and helps with stress levels, etc.! So, I'm choosing to find gratitude in everything. Here's what I'm grateful for this year:

-When everything shut down in March, we got so much more time with our family...and realized how busy we had become with all of our sporting events. The time allowed us to re-evaluate what we wanted to do as a family.

-I got a new job as the P.E. teacher at Covenant Classical School! The interview process started right before the shelter-at-home began, so we had to get creative with interviews and I was finally hired in June. The job allows me to teach at my kids school and only work during their hours. In October, I left my coaching position at Orangetheory Fitness so that I could continue to be here for my family and stay focused on my new job. It has saved my sanity!

-I'm thankful for our school -- the amazing education my kids are getting, the awesome friends and faculty, and that we are IN school full-time!

-My son broke his elbow the beginning of July and needed to have surgery to put three pins in it. That's not the positive. ;) Honestly, there was a lot of it that sucked and we called it his "bummer summer". He missed out on A LOT of stuff. However, so many people were dealing with disappointments in 2020, so he wasn't alone and the only one doing life differently. My son and I still talk about the sweetness of hanging out in my room and watching movies while he recovered. And again, we were forced to slow down.

-I'm thankful for my son's baseball team and the amazing boys on the team. They have all become the best of friends and are incredibly encouraging and supportive of each other. Their support when Edmund broke his elbow was HUGE.

-Today, as I celebrate my son's 11th birthday and the day I became a mother, I am INCREDIBLY grateful for the gift of my children. Every day with them is a blessing and I'm humbled and thankful that God chose me to be their mom.

-I'm thankful for the gift of my marriage that continues to grow stronger day by day. Again, the pandemic has allowed us to have more time to spend together and not rush around...although we have had to learn to be more intentional with our time. ;) I'm thankful that I'm totally content just hanging around with my husband all day and talking with him. He makes me laugh and smile and is my safe space. 

Every time I look back on my life, I can see the obvious ways that God has been working and continues to work in my life. He has used every situation and event to mold me and prepare me for the future. I'm overwhelmingly thankful for his guidance, provision, sacrifice, and love for me -- for sending Jesus to die on the cross and take the penalty of sin for me; for the assurance of salvation and an eternity in heaven; that nothing is out of his control; and that, even though I am sinful and fail, I am loved.

What are you thankful for?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Have a Date!

The wedding date is set: Friday, March 2. I've already booked our church, our pastor, and the reception hall. Whew. I've been busy. Luckily, I already knew where I wanted the reception to be held and since I'm doing a Friday evening, it was easier to book the reception hall. My mom, Kara (my sister and matron-of-honor), and I are looking at dresses this Saturday. How fun! I already found one that I REALLY like online at David's Bridal. So, we are heading there first on Saturday. Jess bought me a wedding planning book -- wow! I had no idea that there were so many things to do! Plus, most people start almost a year in advance and I'm doing it in six months. Oh well. The work is well worth the short wait. So, how am I doing with posting so far? Look, Amanda, two blogs in one week! You must be proud of me. Still no pictures as Walter has been out of town and I don't have a camera. Hopefully, I will have some for you soon.

Forgiven and Free

I've come to the revelation that I don't love people (other than my family, which I love fiercely). I'm not trying to be funny and I'm not being mean. I care for people and I genuinely show love and care, but deep down in my sinful, deprived soul, I don't truly love people. Let me explain... I've been hurt a lot by friendships. Numerous times I have let my guard down and tried to be real, just to have those people walk away from me for no reason. So I've put up walls and guarded my heart. I'll share only what is safe, but I struggle to be vulnerable and real. Years ago I went to counseling to help me with being more vulnerable (and my perfectionist nature). I grew a lot and after about a year, I connected with my future husband and allowed my walls to come down. I praise the Lord for him and allowing me to be real. My husband is a gift from God, but I still struggle with my female friendships. Guy friendships always seem to be easier to me. Maybe it

I'M ENGAGED!!!

Saturday night, on top of the John Hancock building in downtown Chicago, Walter asked me to marry him! I said, "Of course I will." The ring is absolutely gorgeous!! It's exactly what I wanted. (We didn't go ring shopping, but I gave him hints of what I wanted). It's a platinum solitare princess (square) cut one carat diamond. I'll take a picture of it and try to post it for you. It looks like our wedding date is Friday, March 2. I have to double check on some things, but most likely, that is the date. Here's the story: Walter was really low key about everything. We had already planned to go to Chicago that day to the Lincoln Park Zoo. I had never been there and we have a list of things we want to do. So, he picked me up at 11:30am on Saturday. He surprised me with a dozen+ (actually 14) red roses. We headed to Chicago and the zoo. Afterwards, we went to Frontera Grill where I have really wanted to go. It's incredibly difficult to get in, so he had call