Skip to main content

What Do You Believe?

The current discussion on social media these days has a lot to do with people's beliefs -- especially politically and with hot topics, etc. We are quick to point out if someone is leaning a certain way because of their beliefs...and then say that he/she is wrong to do so. However, we ALL make EVERY decision based our own set of beliefs (current culture is simply mad that your belief is different than its belief). And that includes our feelings about health and wellness.

Have you ever thought of that before? How do your current beliefs of health, wellness, nutrition, exercise, etc. affect your lifestyle? With all the diet fads, past and present, our beliefs can be all over the place. 

I think one of the biggest belief most people have is that it won't effect me. I can have the hamburger, large fries, and jumbo Coke because it tastes good, I enjoy it, and I deserve it. If it tastes good, how can it be bad for me?

Or another belief: eating well means that I can't enjoy any good food and have to deprive myself. 

HERE'S THE TRUTH:

1. You are mortal. We are all going to die at some point. But, are you accelerating it through your diet and lifestyle? We are seeing a shift where people are dying longer -- meaning that they are dealing with degenerative diseases (heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, etc.) for 20+ years until they die. These are all a result of poor health and nutrition. With the rise in childhood obesity, they are also predicting that the next generation won't live as long as their parents. The good news? This can all be reversed with better nutrition and exercise!

2. You can't lose/gain weight overnight. One day of eating well won't make you lose weight and one day of enjoying good food won't make you gain weight. Don't beat yourself up for your one night of indulgence and remember that true weight loss takes time and will stay off if you do it correctly. Which leads to...

3. True health isn't found by the latest diet trend...it's a lifestyle. Need help creating a healthier lifestyle? Let's talk.

4. You can't out-exercise a poor diet. Exercise has SO many benefits for you, but it's not so you can eat all the donuts that you want. The quality of your calories determines your results. 80% is nutrition, 20% is exercise.

5. You can't get all the nutrients you need to THRIVE by food alone. Yep, you heard me. You can eat all the veggies and fruits to get the RDA (recommended daily allowance) -- aka minimum amount -- to have normal growth and development, but you won't get the optimal level you need to thrive. The reality is that our soil is depleted through mass farming practices, etc. Plants don't make minerals, they get it from the soil, so if it's not in the soil, it's not in plants.

So, where do you go from here? First of all, take a good look at your beliefs about health and wellness? Where do you struggle? What needs to change?

Finally, how you see yourself? What do you believe about your worth? You are more than what is on the scale. No matter where your
health is right now, you are IMPORTANT and you were meant to do GREAT things. Take care of the body that God has given you and go do AMAZING things, because you are INCREDIBLE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Have a Date!

The wedding date is set: Friday, March 2. I've already booked our church, our pastor, and the reception hall. Whew. I've been busy. Luckily, I already knew where I wanted the reception to be held and since I'm doing a Friday evening, it was easier to book the reception hall. My mom, Kara (my sister and matron-of-honor), and I are looking at dresses this Saturday. How fun! I already found one that I REALLY like online at David's Bridal. So, we are heading there first on Saturday. Jess bought me a wedding planning book -- wow! I had no idea that there were so many things to do! Plus, most people start almost a year in advance and I'm doing it in six months. Oh well. The work is well worth the short wait. So, how am I doing with posting so far? Look, Amanda, two blogs in one week! You must be proud of me. Still no pictures as Walter has been out of town and I don't have a camera. Hopefully, I will have some for you soon.

I'M ENGAGED!!!

Saturday night, on top of the John Hancock building in downtown Chicago, Walter asked me to marry him! I said, "Of course I will." The ring is absolutely gorgeous!! It's exactly what I wanted. (We didn't go ring shopping, but I gave him hints of what I wanted). It's a platinum solitare princess (square) cut one carat diamond. I'll take a picture of it and try to post it for you. It looks like our wedding date is Friday, March 2. I have to double check on some things, but most likely, that is the date. Here's the story: Walter was really low key about everything. We had already planned to go to Chicago that day to the Lincoln Park Zoo. I had never been there and we have a list of things we want to do. So, he picked me up at 11:30am on Saturday. He surprised me with a dozen+ (actually 14) red roses. We headed to Chicago and the zoo. Afterwards, we went to Frontera Grill where I have really wanted to go. It's incredibly difficult to get in, so he had call

Forgiven and Free

I've come to the revelation that I don't love people (other than my family, which I love fiercely). I'm not trying to be funny and I'm not being mean. I care for people and I genuinely show love and care, but deep down in my sinful, deprived soul, I don't truly love people. Let me explain... I've been hurt a lot by friendships. Numerous times I have let my guard down and tried to be real, just to have those people walk away from me for no reason. So I've put up walls and guarded my heart. I'll share only what is safe, but I struggle to be vulnerable and real. Years ago I went to counseling to help me with being more vulnerable (and my perfectionist nature). I grew a lot and after about a year, I connected with my future husband and allowed my walls to come down. I praise the Lord for him and allowing me to be real. My husband is a gift from God, but I still struggle with my female friendships. Guy friendships always seem to be easier to me. Maybe it