Skip to main content

Summer Loves

I don't know about you, but this summer has been super busy (with all good things) and seems to be flying by! How is it already almost July?! I have hardly updated my website or written a newsletter or blog because I am constantly running to another one of my kids' events. But I love it. :) My children are only young once and I love spending every single second with them (even when they are crying because I said no to candy -- I'm such a mean mom).

I am constantly looking for ways to make myself and my family healthier and enjoy life to the fullest, so here are a few more of my newest favorite things:

1. The Trekkie Skort by Athleta


Okay, so it isn't about being healthy, but these skorts are so dang comfortable and they make me look put together while requiring minimal effort. I love summer. I love the warm weather and wearing shorts, a sports shirt, and sandals. With this skort, I look a little more fancy, while not sacrificing on ease. The side pockets are perfect for my phone and keys when I am at my son's baseball games or my kids' soccer games. They also dry quickly if they get wet (my son might have dumped a bunch of water on my lap one day). Bonus, they are only $59. I loved my first one so much that I bought another one. :)

2. LUSH Cosmetics



This month, I spent the weekend in Chicago with my sister and some friends celebrating her 40th birthday. While there, we stopped into Macys at Watertower Place and I discovered LUSH. At first it just looked like a bunch of soaps, but as a looked closely I thought "these are my people." LUSH is all handmade from pure ingredients and no harmful chemicals. And it's more than just soap. There are face washes, masks, scrubs, and cosmetics. In my quest to get the chemicals out of my life, the last thing has been cosmetics (there are SO many chemicals in cosmetics and we, as women, wear them most of the day!). I fell in love with their cosmetics and feel like I am putting something good on my face.

3. TummyGize Essential Oil



Did you know Young Living has a kids line of oils called KidScents? My 3 year old daughter struggles with constipation (mainly from holding it in). We have made a lot of changes to her diet, but it still happens at times. I used to put DiGize and Peppemint diluted in coconut oil on her stomach, but it's takes a little bit more time and I worried about her, since these can be "hot" oils. I finally ordered TummyGize. Now, I put it directly on her stomach without fear of it hurting her and it aids in easing her stomach discomfort from constipation.

4. ABCmouse.com



If you watch any children's television, you've probably seen the advertisement for ABCmouse. Well, after years on being brainwashed by the commercial ;) I finally signed my kids up for it. They LOVE it! Edmund is cruising through it and I love that it is keeping him engaged over the summer when so much of what they learn in school can me lost. I honestly wish I had done this sooner. I much prefer this for screen time instead of obsessively watching Netflix on his iPad. :)

5. Vionic Shoes


One more clothing item. I actually came across this brand of shoes at a store in downtown Naperville before we headed to Disney this past February. I have had multiple foot surgeries, so I am constantly looking for shoes that are good for my feet. These sandals are AMAZING. The arch support is beyond compare and they use Orthaheel Technology so that your feet are balanced and supported correctly. I wore them all around Disney and my feet never hurt. They are my go to sandals and I really need to get another pair. (Mine look a little worn, because our new dog chewed the strap when they were practically new and I got it repaired as best as possible, but now they are forever marred and I shed a little tear every time I look at them. ;) ) Also, they are an incredible price for this type of shoe -- these sandals are only $65 (for those of you that have searched for cute orthotic shoes, you know this is a steal).

I hope you are all having a fabulous summer and I hope to get back into the swing of things after the next couple weeks of craziness. :)

If your new to my blog, be sure to check out my website: Healthy & Free Living to learn how to create and healthier lifestyle free of chemicals. Be sure to "like" my facebook page too. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Have a Date!

The wedding date is set: Friday, March 2. I've already booked our church, our pastor, and the reception hall. Whew. I've been busy. Luckily, I already knew where I wanted the reception to be held and since I'm doing a Friday evening, it was easier to book the reception hall. My mom, Kara (my sister and matron-of-honor), and I are looking at dresses this Saturday. How fun! I already found one that I REALLY like online at David's Bridal. So, we are heading there first on Saturday. Jess bought me a wedding planning book -- wow! I had no idea that there were so many things to do! Plus, most people start almost a year in advance and I'm doing it in six months. Oh well. The work is well worth the short wait. So, how am I doing with posting so far? Look, Amanda, two blogs in one week! You must be proud of me. Still no pictures as Walter has been out of town and I don't have a camera. Hopefully, I will have some for you soon.

I'M ENGAGED!!!

Saturday night, on top of the John Hancock building in downtown Chicago, Walter asked me to marry him! I said, "Of course I will." The ring is absolutely gorgeous!! It's exactly what I wanted. (We didn't go ring shopping, but I gave him hints of what I wanted). It's a platinum solitare princess (square) cut one carat diamond. I'll take a picture of it and try to post it for you. It looks like our wedding date is Friday, March 2. I have to double check on some things, but most likely, that is the date. Here's the story: Walter was really low key about everything. We had already planned to go to Chicago that day to the Lincoln Park Zoo. I had never been there and we have a list of things we want to do. So, he picked me up at 11:30am on Saturday. He surprised me with a dozen+ (actually 14) red roses. We headed to Chicago and the zoo. Afterwards, we went to Frontera Grill where I have really wanted to go. It's incredibly difficult to get in, so he had call

Hey, Cubs fans!

Okay, so the Cubs are breaking my heart, but at least we have Derrek Lee. My dad and I went to the Cubs game on June 13th and here is a photo from where we were sitting (third row behind home plate)...awesome seats, horrible game. I've just got to keep believing. :) (I'm practicing adding pictures, hence this late post).